The idea of meeting with a personal injury attorney can be scary if you've never done it before. With everything you have to deal with in the aftermath of your injury, from getting medical treatment to filing an insurance claim, approaching an attorney can be intimidating.
Morgantown personal injury attorney Jeff Mehalic wants to make this process as easy for you as possible. This blog breaks down everything you should bring to your first meeting with a personal injury lawyer to help make your claims process as smooth as possible.
If you were injured because of the actions or negligence of another person, Jeff will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. With more than 30 years of experience, Jeff knows all the tricks insurance companies use to prevent you from collecting damages. He will level the playing field for you.
One of the most critical aspects of building your claim will be your medical expenses. The medical documents you should bring include:
- Bills from doctors and hospitals
- Physical therapist or chiropractor bills
- Documents explaining diagnosis, treatment, and further treatment needed
- Names of hospitals, doctors, ambulance services, chiropractors, and other practitioners that treated you
- The dates you were admitted to and discharged from the hospital
- Medications you were prescribed because of your injuries
Even if someone else is liable for your injury, it's vital to bring insurance documentation to your meeting with Jeff. Make sure you have:
- Health insurance paperwork
- Car insurance paperwork, if your injury was the result of a car accident
- Declarations page
- Any correspondence you've received from an insurance company
- Name and contact information of insurance adjustors you've talked to
Photos and Videos
Photo and video evidence can be critical to helping prove your case. When you meet with Jeff, you should bring photos and videos of:
- Your injuries
- Injuries to your passengers
- Damage to your car from multiple angles, if you were in a car accident
- The scene of the accident
- Road conditions, if there was a car accident
- Other property damage
Make sure you bring official documents with you, including:
- Police report
- Copies of written witness statements
Questions Your Personal Injury Attorney Will Ask You
During your consultation with Jeff, he'll ask you to explain your injury in as much detail as possible. Be prepared to answer questions such as:
- What specific injuries did you suffer?
- How much pain are you experiencing?
- Whom have you talked to about the accident, and what did you say?
- Have you talked to your insurance company about the accident?
- Have you seen a doctor?
- What insurance coverage do you have?
- How has the incident affected your daily life?
Contact Our Morgantown Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you or a loved one were injured because of the actions or negligence of another person, Jeff will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
He serves Morgantown, Wheeling, Martinsburg, and nearby areas of West Virginia. Call (304) 346-3462 today to schedule a consultation.